Sign Number:11
Location: front of Hallowell Fire Station
Method of Display: Affixed to Building
Permits/permissions required, date obtained: City

Sign11-1The Town House was built in 1828 and served as municipal offices, school, jail and community center. Sunday School programs were offered here as well as concerts, dances, roller skating and other events. The Hallowell Lyceum, an education and entertainment forum, met here. In 1832, citizens heard a lecture by Mr. Merrick on a new invention, the steam engine. In 1853 lectures were delivered by Ralph Waldo Emerson, Wendell Phillips, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Richard Henry Dana and women’s rights advocate, Lucy Stone. After the City Hall was built in 1898 the Fire Department moved here and has served the community at this location ever since. It boasts one of the finest collections of antique fire fighting equipment in Maine.


Town House: Un bâtiment polyvalent
Town House fut érigé en 1828 et servit de mairie, école, prison, et centre communautaire. On y faisait l’école du dimanche, des concerts, bals, du patinage à roulettes et autres activités. Le Hallowell Lyceum, un groupe destiné à instruire et distraire la population, se réunissait ici. En 1832, les citoyens assistèrent à une présentation de M. Merrick sur une nouvelle innovation, la locomotive à vapeur. En 1853 Ralph Waldo Emerson, Wendell Phillips, Oliver Wendell Holmes, Richard Henry Dana et la féministe Lucy Stone y firent des conférences. Après la construction de l’Hôtel de Ville en 1898, la caserne des pompiers s’y installa et continue à servir la population locale. Elle abrite l’une des meilleures collections du Maine d’équipement ancien contre l’incendie.

Photograph(s) /Illustration(s) – Captions
S11-01 Firehouse with old apparatus – “Well-outfitted for the weather. 1925”
Bien emmitouflés pour l’hiver. 1925
Credit – Hubbard Free Library Collection – Photographer unknown

S11-02 – Firemen’s Association Band- “Entertaining and protecting.”
La fanfare des pompiers – “Divertissement et protection”
Credit – Hubbard Free Library Collection – Photographer McIntosh

Sponsor Copy
The Hallowell Museum in the Streets is a project of Row House Inc. and the Hallowell Area Board of Trade, made possible by Patron Grants from Gardiner Savings Bank of Maine, Mattson Development, LLC and The Wolfington Auto Group.
The project was underwritten by Hattie’s Chowder House.

Sign Sponsor – Hallowell Firemen’s Association

A Museum Tour Guide is available at the Hallowell City Hall, Hubbard Free Library and at many city merchants. The Guide and links to more information about Hallowell are available online at www.