Sign Number: 14
Location: Cotton Mill Apartments north west corner
Method of Display: Steel pole

Sign14-1The availability of cheap cotton from the South in the pre-Civil War years prompted local businessmen to construct a spinning mill here in 1845. During a typical week, it used 35 bales of cotton shipped from New Orleans and burned 30 tons of coal. About 200 employees produced 43,000 yards of fabric on 215 looms. The first steam engine used here was built by the McClench Iron Works at Sheppard’s Point. The finished cloth sold for 6 cents a yard, and each employee made 62 cents a day. The mill ceased operation in the 1890’s as many textile manufacturers moved south. Shoe companies occupied the building from 1920 to 1966. It was little used until the Federal Advisory Council on Historic Preservation teamed with HUD in 1979 to transform the building into apartments for the elderly.

Sign14Le moulin de coton à Hallowell
L’abondance de coton bon marché au Sud des Etats-Unis avant la guerre civile poussa les hommes d’affaires locaux à construire un moulin de tissage de coton ici en 1845. Durant une semaine normale de travail, on utilisait 35 balles de coton importé de La Nouvelle-Orléans et brûlait 30 tonnes de charbon. La première locomotive à vapeur utilisée dans le moulin fut construite par la sidérurgie McClench à Sheppard’s Point. Environ 200 employés produisaient 43 000 mètres de tissu par semaine sur 215 métiers à tisser. Le tissu fini était vendu pour 6 centimes le mètre, et chaque employé gagnait 62 centimes par jour. Le moulin de coton cessa son activité dans les années 1890, comme beaucoup de manufactures textiles qui s’installèrent au Sud des Etats-Unis. Des fabriques de chaussures occupèrent alors le bâtiment de 1920 à 1966. Par la suite, le bâtiment resta presque vacant jusqu’en 1979, quand le Conseil Fédéral pour la Préservation Historique, en collaboration avec HUD (Logement et Développement Urbain), aménagea le bâtiment en appartements pour personnes âgées.

Photograph(s)/illustration(s) – Caption
S14-01 4 ½ x 4 ½ – “Cotton Mill Complex probably taken from the steeple of the South Congregational Church”
Vue du Moulin de Coton, sans doute prise du clocher de l’église South Congregational.

S14-02 – 8 ½ x 6 3/4 “Worker in the Cotton Mill.”
Ouvrier dans le Moulin de Coton.
Credit – Hubbard Free Library Collection – Photographer unknown
Interior of Cotton Mill (AH – HLC pg 59)

Sponsor Copy

The Hallowell Museum in the Streets is a project of Row House Inc. and the Hallowell Area Board of Trade, made possible by Patron Grants from Gardiner Savings Bank of Maine, Mattson Development, LLC and The Wolfington Auto Group.
The project was underwritten by Century 21 Alliance Reality.
Sign Sponsor – Cotton Mill Associates

A Museum Tour Guide is available at the Hallowell City Hall, Hubbard Free Library and at many city merchants. The Guide and links to more information about Hallowell are available nline at www.