8. Dr. Hubbard Office

February 14, 2014 at 4:22 pm  •  Posted in Uncategorized by

Dr Hubbard House Second St.
Sign8-1Dr. John Hubbard Junior started practicing medicine in Hallowell in 1830. He graduated from Dartmouth College and the Medical Department of the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. The building, an authentic nineteenth century doctor’s office, was closed on his death in 1869 and remained on the Hubbard Farm until being moved to here in 1989. Dr. Hubbard served as the governor of Maine in the early 1850’s, signing the “Maine Law” for the “Suppression of Drinking Houses and Tippling Shops” making Maine the first in the nation to enact prohibition. His family continued to contribute to Hallowell after his death . Son Thomas, a graduate of Bowdoin College and a successful New York railroad lawyer, donated the first addition to what is now the Hubbard Free Library in 1893.

Le cabinet médical du Dr. Hubbard

Sign8Dr. John Hubbard Junior s’établit comme médecin à Hallowell en 1830. Il avait fait ses études à Dartmouth College et sa médecine à l’Université de Pennsylvanie à Philadelphie. Le bâtiment, un cabinet médical authentique du dix-neuvième siècle, fut fermé à sa mort en 1869 et resta à la ferme Hubbard jusqu’à son transport ici en 1989. Dr. Hubbard fut Gouverneur du Maine au début des années 1850 et signa une loi, la Maine Law, pour la suppression des tavernes et magasins de boisson qui fit du Maine le premier état du pays à appliquer la prohibition. Sa famille continua à contribuer à Hallowell après sa mort. Son fils Thomas, diplômé de Bowdoin College et avocat prospère pour les chemins de fer de New York, offrit en 1893 une nouvelle aile à la bibliothèque qui porte aujourd’hui son nom.

Photograph(s)/illustration(s) – Captions

S8-01 “Dr. Hubbard”
Credit – Hubbard Free Library Collection

S8-02 – “Dr. Hubbard’s instruments.”
Les instruments du Dr. Hubbard.
Credit – Hubbard Museum Collection – Harold Strout

The Hallowell Museum in the Streets is a project of Row House Inc. and the Hallowell Area Board of Trade, made possible by Patron Grants from Gardiner Savings Bank of Maine, Mattson Development, LLC and The Wolfington Auto Group.
The project was underwritten by Hattie’s Chowder House.
This panel is sponsored by Rebecca Jane Perry and the Perry Family

A Museum Tour Guide is available at the Hallowell City Hall, Hubbard Free Library and at many city merchants. The Guide and links to more information about Hallowell are available online at www. hallowell.org