20. The Powder House “Old Thunder Jug”

February 19, 2014 at 5:19 pm  •  Posted in Museum in the Streets by

sign-20At the Town Meeting of April 5, 1819, Hallowell voters approved a warrant “to see if the Town will give directions for building a Magazine for the safe keeping of powder”.  By June of 1820 the Powder House building  was erected here on Couch’s Ledge, land owned by Ebenezer T. Warren, and once owned by John Couch, a Revolutionary War veteran.  On June 19, 1820, Warren conveyed the land and building to the “Inhabitants of Hallowell” for $30.  On December 29, 1947, the City of Hallowell gifted the Powder House to the Mary Kelton Dummer Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, and on April 11, 2002, it was entered in the National Register of Historic Places.

Sign20-locationLe 5 avril 1819, le Conseil Municipal de Hallowell vote une délibération exhortant la ville à construire une réserve pour y stocker de la poudre à canon.  La poudrière est construite en juin 1820 ici, sur Couch’s Ledge, sur un terrain appartenant à Ebenezer T. Warren ; autrefois propriété de John Couch, vétéran de la Guerre d’Indépendance. Le 19 juin 1820, Warren cède le terrain et bâtiment aux  « habitants de Hallowell » pour la somme de 30 dollars. Le 29 décembre 1947, la ville de Hallowell fait don de la poudrière au chapitre Mary Kelton Dummer des Filles de la Révolution Américaine et, le 11 avril 2002, le bâtiment est inscrit au Registre National des Bâtiments Historiques.

This cannon, also known as the “Beeman Cannon”, was originally part of the armament of the British Navy brig HMS Boxer which was captured by the USS Enterprise in a sea battle off Portland during the War of 1812.  About 1837 a group of local businessmen, led by John Beeman, purchased the cannon in Portland and brought it to Hallowell.  It was placed on a gun carriage and converted to a field  piece.  Today it serves as a memorial to the Hallowell Light Infantry and Hallowell Artillery Company.  Both units were organized as part of the 8th Division of the Massachusetts Militia and served during the Revolutionary War and War of 1812.  For many years the gun was fired during community celebrations.

Ce canon, également connu sous le nom de « Beaman Cannon » fait à l’origine partie de l’armement du brick HMS Boxer de la Marine Britannique qui est capturé en combat naval par le USS Entreprise non loin de Portland pendant la guerre de 1812. Un groupe d’hommes d’affaires locaux, sous la houlette de John Beeman, achète le canon à Portland et le transporte à Hallowell vers 1837. On l’installe sur un porte-canon pour en faire une pièce d’artillerie. Aujourd’hui Il commémore l’Infanterie Légère ainsi que le Bataillon d’Artillerie de Hallowell. Ces deux unités font partie de la 8ème division de la Milice du Massachusetts qui participe à la Guerre d’Indépendance et celle de 1812. Pendant de nombreuses années, ce canon tire des salves à l’occasion de la fête nationale.