12 Old South Congregational Church

February 14, 2014 at 5:09 pm  •  Posted in Museum in the Streets by

Second St.
Method of Display: Post

Sign12LocHallowell’s first meeting house was Old South Congregational Church. It was a wooden structure built in 1796 but destroyed by fire in 1878. Lost in the fire was the distinguished bell tower designed by Charles Bulfinch and the organ which had been imported from England. It was rebuilt on the same spot between 1883-1885, with Hallowell granite replacing the wooden structure and a 127 foot steeple added. Hallowell pulpits have been filled with clergymen of notoriety, including prolific authors and acclaimed speakers. Hallowell native Rev. John Stevens Abbott wrote more than 50 books, including one, The History of Christianity, which was translated into several languages and won universal praise

Sign12L’église Old South Congregational Le premier lieu de culte de Hallowell fut l’église Old South Congregational. Cet édifice en bois, bâti en 1796, fut malheureusement détruit par un incendie en 1878. Perdus dans l’incendie furent le clocher délicat conçu par Charles Bullfinch et l’orgue qui avait été importé d’Angleterre. L’église fut rebâtie à cet endroit entre 1883 et 1885 avec du granit de Hallowell pour remplacer la structure de bois et on y ajouta un clocher de 42 mètres. La chaire de Hallowell accueillit de nombreux écclésiastiques célèbres, dont des écrivains prolifiques et orateurs acclamés. Le Rév. John Stevens Abbott, originaire de Hallowell, écrivit plus de 50 livres, dont The History of Christianity, qui fut traduit en plusieurs langues et connut une renommée mondiale.

Photograph(s)/illustration(s):
“First Old South Church”
Première église
Eglise actuelle
Credit – Hubbard Free Library Collection – Photographer A.F.Morse

History of Christianity – no caption

Sponsor Copy
The Hallowell Museum in the Streets is a project of Row House Inc. and the Hallowell Area Board of Trade, made possible by Patron Grants from Gardiner Savings Bank of Maine, Mattson Development, LLC and The Wolfington Auto Group. The project was underwritten by Vallee Real Estate.
This panel is sponsored by Rebecca Jane Perry and the Perry Family.

A Museum Tour Guide is available at the Hallowell City Hall, Hubbard Free Library and at many city merchants. The Guide and links to more information about Hallowell are available online at www. hallowell.org